Decorative Carving


                DECORATIVE CARVING

              By Symonne de la Croix

                           22.1.2021


                      


My Canton is running the River Haven annual event 'Red &White' and I have decided to enter into one or more of the A&S competitions.

These are the categories posted by the current Stegby A&S officer:
Arts and Science Competition for Red and White, the first event on the River Haven Calendar for 2021
1. Write a poem in the style of a renaissance poet, about love. Extra points if you are prepared to recite it.

2. In Italy from before the 11th century there was a race run through the villages of men on horses known as Palio. The race was run on the 2nd of July and the 16th of August in honour of the Madonna.
A square piece of wool, silk or velvet embroided with the Madonna was given as the prize to the winner.
Create a period embroidery of something you would think  worthy of a prize, incorporating the red and white theme.

3. Romance in Medieval England - to impress his lady a good gentle was expected to give gifts to his intended. Gifts of belts and ivory boxes were the go.  Using ivory is not an option in modern times, but make a belt or box by way of interpretation.  Generally these items would have the word "amour" on them to show they were a gift of love.  Documentation is required, make a gift for someone you love.

4. Open - did you make something in 2020 and did not get a chance to put it in a competition due to the great plague.  Enter your item in this section.
Documentation with items receive more points.
If you are unable to attend the Red and White Event but would like to enter this Arts and Science Competition, please message me if you wish to post it and I will give you an address, you item will be returned to you.  You can also send your item along with someone who is coming.
Yours in Service
Lady Dorothye Torr
Arts and Science Officer
Canton of Stegby

........................


I have decided to try to  create a faux ivory love box. 
I started buy drawing up a design with a graphite pencil 


then I went on to carve it using standard carving tools and a small hand engraver to neaten the edges.


When I finish this I plan to tidy it up with sandpaper. Then I shall gesso it do its able to take the paint without it chipping off.
Im undecided if I will use modern paint or period pigments st this stage.
I aim to mix a colour similar to Ivory then perhaps stain or outline sections with a deeper colour to give it a more carved ivory look and to perhaps add shading to make the carving stand out.
I am undecided whether to paint the word 'Amour' on the box (possibly in red to go with the red and white theme of the event)
If not painted then I shall carve the words.
The final part of the process will be putting a final clear coat to further the illusion of ivory.
This will be in glair if I choose to use period pigments,or a modern topcoat if I choose modern equipment 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHADING MEDIEVAL ILLUMINATED LETTERS

Medieval RSG Gesso prep for Carved Box